Managing roles and users
- Main user roles and permissions
- Assigning course reps
- Key contacts & participants list
- Groups and groupings
Once Groups are created and students added to them, it is possible to use them with most items within your SOL site. How they work exactly will differ between tools, but generally it will be in one of two ways:
- For group work, students can see and communicate/work with other students in their group (Forums, Wikis or Chat).
- For administration of your cohort, tutors can choose to display assignments/work by only students in a particular group (Assignments).
1. To change the group settings on a activity, go to the administration settings for that activity. For example, this is the administration block for the 'forum' tool. Click on Edit settings.
2. Scroll down to the section 'Common Module Settings' (if collapsed, click on the small grey arrow to reveal the section). Go to the drop-down menu called 'Group Mode'. By default it is set to 'No Groups'. Choose either 'Separate Groups' or 'Visible Groups'.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the settings page and click Save and display.
4. Once set up, you should be able to see the following drop-down list at the top-left of the activity that you've made 'Group' compatible. This will allow you to shift between the work of your different groups.
Unless you are using 'Visible Group' settings in a piece of group work, the students will experience this item seamlessly. They will not see the 'Group' settings, they will just experience the item in the groups/setting that you want them to.