Create slides that work
Slides as prompts
- What is the purpose of a presentation slide?
- Is it to give a full and detailed explanation? Or
- Is it to give a starting point from which you verbally make an explanation?
Look at this slide:
How do you think this would be used?
Because this slide doesn’t give a great deal of detail it will only be used for a few seconds. Therefore, the written content will have to be talked around in order to get a full explanation. This is a good habit to get in to when preparing presentation slides:you have to be sure you know what you want to say about each slide.
The way to write the bullets on your slides is to:
- Write short phrases, or
- Write very brief sentences.
- Make sure the meaning of the content is obvious.
- Use the bullet points as notes or prompts – for you and for the audience.