Archived Material (Dissertations)
This book takes you through all the elements needed for a successful dissertation proposal and dissertation. The book explains the sections required for both proposal and dissertation, and offers helpful downloadable templates to assist with the presentation.
What a dissertation should look like
- The standard font for Southampton Solent university is Trebuchet MS.
- Set your line spacing to 1.5 lines.
Indents or breaks
- Leave a space of one line between paragraphs, rather than indenting the first line
- Set your spacing at 12pt after a line.
- The left hand margin should be set at 3.2cm (1.25 inches)
- The right hand margin about 2.5cm (1 inch).
- Approximately 3.8cm (1.5 inches) should be left free of text at the top and bottom of each page.
- Sections headings should be left aligned, bold and numbered.
- The numbering should be the same as given in your contents page.
- Make sure you are consistent in your numbering of headings and sub-headings.
There may be some variation in your department’s requirements.
For example: some departments may want you to indent as well as leaving a line space. Check with your supervisor or your department’s guidelines.