Archived Material (Dissertations)
This book takes you through all the elements needed for a successful dissertation proposal and dissertation. The book explains the sections required for both proposal and dissertation, and offers helpful downloadable templates to assist with the presentation.
What a dissertation should look like
As far as page numbering goes, there are four sections to your dissertation:
Your title page should have no number.
The preamble is everything between the Title page and the Introduction:
- List of Tables and Figures.
- Use small-case Roman numerals (i.e. i, ii, iii, iv, etc.) to number.
- Insert a section break between the pre-amble and the main body.
|Demo of how to add section breaks (MP4 video opens in new window)|
- Includes everything from the Introduction up to (but not including) the appendices.
- Use Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) to number.
|Demo of how to set page numbers in Word 2007 (MP4 video opens in new window)|
- Use the letter name of the appendix and an Arabic numeral. (i.e. A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2) to number.
- Create a section break for each appendix and manually add the letter name into the footer.
|Demo of how to add numbers to your appendices (MP4 video opens in new window)|
All these sections, with correct numbering, appear in the general dissertation template which can be accessed below.