Archived Material (Dissertations)
This book takes you through all the elements needed for a successful dissertation proposal and dissertation. The book explains the sections required for both proposal and dissertation, and offers helpful downloadable templates to assist with the presentation.
Step 2: What sections go into a dissertation?
Main body - literature survey
The Literature Survey is also known as a Literature review.
A Literature Survey
- uses a descriptive writing approach
- is positioned after the introduction and before the methodology
- describes the existing and established theory and research in your report area. You are providing a context for your work.
- can show where you are filling a perceived gap in the existing theory or knowledge
- can propose something that goes against or is controversial to existing ideas.
- accurately references all sources mentioned and gives a full citation in the Reference List.
The Literature Survey is not in every dissertation. Sometimes the literature survey can be embedded in the main body of your writing.
Check whether to include this seperately or not with your department or tutor.