Creating (formative) assignments
How to set up a link for formative feedback only
The process below shows how to create a formative assignment for a non-online submission (or for formative feedback only).
Performances, 'offline' exams, presentations or other art based products, may not require an online submission however, enter the dates of assessment anyway so the students calendar is populated and can generate reminders/alerts.
Once marked, the students can access their grade and feedback through SOL, thus ensuring consistency for the student.
1. Go to your unit and Turn editing on.
2. In the 'Assessment' tab, click the Add an activity or resource button at the bottom right.
3. Select the radio button titled Formative assignment, then click Add at the bottom of the pop-up.
4. Under the 'General' section, add the Name. Also add further detail into the Description area to explain the 'offline' assignment and that the link is not there for any online submission but is for formative grades and feedback only.
5. Scroll down to the 'Availability' section. Add the dates and times of your 'offline' assignment. This populates the students calendar to generate reminders/alerts, even for formative assignments. (Or you can disable these by unchecking the tick boxes by the dates, if you wish).
5. Scroll to the 'Submission types' section. File submissions is selected as default. Deselect the checkbox for 'File submissions' as nothing is expected to be uploaded.
6. Anonymous marking is enabled by default. Go to the 'Grade' section and under 'Anonymous marking', select No.
7. Click Save and display.
8. To add formative grades and feedback, go to Adding grades & feedback for more information. To release the grades and feedback, go to Releasing grades & feedback for more information. Note that formative grades will obviously not be returned to Quercus as they are not linked with that system in the same way as summative links.
This guide is the basic process recommended by SLTI. If these settings do not suit your needs or if you would like to explore more advanced features, please contact email@example.com or ext. 5100.