Creating (formative) assignments
How to set up a myPortfolio assignment
The process below shows how to create a formative assignment to allow students to submit electronic portfolios from myPortfolio (Mahara) to SOL. This is good practice for their summative assignment submission. Simply keep the portfolio unlocked until they are ready to formally submit.
1. Go to your unit and Turn editing on.
2. In the 'Assessment' tab, click the Add an activity or resource button at the bottom right.
3. Select the radio button titled Formative assignment, then click Add at the bottom of the pop-up.
4.Under the 'General' section, add the Assignment name and Description (add what the students are expected to do to complete the task including any special or important instructions on how to submit).
5. Scroll down to the 'Availability' section, add the dates and times for your assignment. As the assignment is formative only, the date and time settings can be at your own discretion.
6. Scroll to the 'Submission types' section. Deselect the File submissions option and select myPortfolio (Mahara). As a formative assignment, under 'Lock submitted pages', either select No or Unlock after grading depending on the need to grade or not.
7. Anonymous marking is enabled by default but can be disabled if that is a specific requirement of the assignment. The setting can be found under the 'Grade' section. Under 'Anonymous marking', select No.
8. Click Save and display. All other options can be left as default.
This guide is the basic process recommended by SLTI. If these settings do not suit your needs or if you would like to explore more advanced features, please contact email@example.com or ext. 5100.