Creating (formative) assignments
How to set up a non text-based assignment
The process below shows how to create a formative assignment that allows students to submit any digital content (files) that are primarily non text-based documents up to a maximum file size of 250MB which could include:
- image-based PDFs
- zip files
When asking students to upload a non-text based assignment, Turnitin should be switched off (as non text-based documents are not accepted by Turnitin and will generate an error message).
1. Go to your unit and Turn editing on.
2. In the 'Assessment' tab, click the Add an activity or resource button at the bottom right.
3. Select the radio button titled Formative assignment, then click Add at the bottom of the pop-up.
4.Under the 'General' section, add the Assignment name and Description (add what the students are expected to do to complete the task including any special or important instructions on how to submit).
5. Scroll down to the 'Availability' section, add the dates and times for your assignment. As the assignment is formative only, the date and time settings can be at your own discretion.
6. Scroll to the 'Submission types' section, File submissions is selected as default. If required, increase the file limit size to either 50MB, 100MB or 250MB.
Increase the number under 'Maximum number of uploaded files if you need students to upload multiple files into one single inbox.
Also, Turnitin must be switched off if the file size limit is increased as it will only accept files under 100MB. This will show an error message.
7. To switch Turnitin off, scroll down to the 'Turnitin plagiarism plugin settings' section. Under 'Enable Turnitin', select No.
8. Anonymous marking is enabled by default but can be disabled if that is a specific requirement of the assignment. The setting can be found under the 'Grade' section. Under 'Anonymous marking', select No.
9. Click Save and display. All other options can be left as default.
This guide is the basic process recommended by SLTI. If these settings do not suit your needs or if you would like to explore more advanced features, please contact email@example.com or ext. 5100.