Role at Solent
I am Head of Learning Technologies, responsible for the online learning and digital education provision for the university.
I lead a highly experienced team of learning technologists, instructional designers, learning technology advisors, and systems managers. I sit on a range of strategic committees and working groups delivering key projects to support the university in realising its strategic objectives. I am service owner and responsible for the procurement, development and support of the Solent Online Learning suite (SOL), a collection of digital education systems and services including the VLE, lecture capture, digital assessment submission and grading, student mobile app, e-portfolio and related platforms.
I am responsible for the Learning Technologies Helpdesk which is a combined student support and digital capability enhancement provision which holds the Customer Service Excellence award servicing over 11,000 enquiries annually. I oversee the Instructional Design team to ensure the quality of digital learning provision by defining and upholding the SOL Standard, supporting colleagues through the Solent Course Enhancement Programme (SCEP) and lead on the development and design of blended and online learning, inspiring colleagues to deliver excellent and engaging teaching through innovative practices that make best use of the available technology.
Service Owner for Solent Online Learning: Moodle (SOL & Open Solent), Mahara, Adobe Creative Campus, Panopto, Medial, Turnitin, MySolent (Ready Education/MyDay), Customer Service Excellence, EMA (Marks Upload), Teams for Teaching.
I’ve worked at Solent University since 2001 and have overseen the development of the university’s online learning and digital education service from its very early beginnings.
Previous career roles include working in the children's publishing industry for ‘Two-Can Publishing’ as lead multimedia developer producing floppy disc and CD-ROM based educational games for a range of titles such as World Book (USA) Golden Books (USA), Patmos (Germany) and other markets. Lead programmer and CD editor for "Learning Land", a fortnightly magazine and CD-ROM for pre-school children published by DeAgostini. In addition, commercial courseware development for Pennent PLC producing training packages for BT, Telewest, US Army, Honda, Kenco and numerous freelance and consultancy projects including development of the Wine and Spirit Education Trust distance learning packages.
- PgDip - Postgraduate Diploma in Education Research (2021, University of Southampton)
- LFHE Fellowship Course (2018, Leadership Foundation for Higher Education)
- MProf - Master of Professional Development (2014, Solent University)
- PRINCE2 Practitioner (2013)
- SEDA Leading and Embedding Technology Enhanced Learning (2012)
- PgC ILM Professional Management (2009, Institute of Leadership and Management)
- PgC Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (2006, Solent University)
- BSc Electronic Imaging and Media Communication (1996, University of Bradford)
- Access to Higher Education (Highbury College, 1993)
- Learning, Teaching and Student Success Committee
- Better Operations Group
- Virtual Learning Environment Continuous Improvement Group - Founding Chair
- mySolent Continuous Improvement Group (Student App) - Chair
- Digital Accessibility Working Group - Chair
- Partnership and Franchise Operations - chair of digital sub-group
- HEA Senior Fellowship Assessor
External memberships and recognitions
- Advisory Board member and Trailblazer group - Digital Learning Designer Apprenticeship (2020-on)
- Co-Chair Association for Learning Technology Conference (2021)
- Customer Service Excellence award (annually since 2018)
- Winner, Staff Award for Continuous Improvement (2018)
- Heads of e-Learning Forum (HeLF) Steering Group (2017-present)
- SFHEA - HEA Senior Fellow (2014)
- Working towards PFHEA - Principal Fellowship
- Winner, JISC Hi5 e-Learning Awards (2013)
- Associate Professor (2012-2019)
- Relinquished following introduction of academic career pathways conflicting with existing professional service contract
- Chair and Founder - Learnwise User Group (2002-2006)
A regular collaborator and contributor to sector bodies including Heads of e-Learning Forum (HeLF), UCISA, Association for Learning Technology (ALT), JISC and the Moodle and Mahara communities.