W3: Belonging, Community & Mattering
Workshop 3: Belonging, Community and Mattering
- Workshop outline
Workshop 3 seeks to get participants talking about what they do to support community, belonging and mattering in the evidence base. This should spark conversation and critique of current practices with a view to their enhancement.
- To explore relevant literature including that focused on mattering.
- To critically reflect on approaches enabling a sense of belonging and community.
- To support informed decision making for future action
- Pre-workshop activities
- Pre-workshop Activity 1: Belonging and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- First, watch the video titled 'Belonging, A Critical Piece of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion | Carin Taylor | TEDxSonomaCounty' (16 minutes).
- Then, be ready to discuss the content of this video.
- Pre-workshop Activity 2: Sense of belonging.
- First, read the this article titled 'Exploring how a ‘Sense of Belonging’ is facilitated at different stages of the student journey in Higher Education' by Owen Humphrey and Tom Lowe (14 pages).
- Then, be ready to discuss its content in the workshop.
- Workshop resources