Welcome to SLTI
- Welcome to Solent Learning and Teaching Institute!
We are a dynamic and innovative team, working with and at the service of the Solent learning community to facilitate and promote excellent, inclusive practice in learning and teaching, to inspire every student to achieve their full academic potential.
Our goal is to help build our academic colleagues' professional confidence, aid in their growth and strengthen their reflective and inclusive learning and teaching practice.
We work in partnership, supporting and encouraging collaboration within and between our six Academic Departments and Warsash Maritime School:
- developing innovations
- researching the scholarship of teaching, promoting and undertaking pedagogic research, supporting research informed teaching and developing staff research skills
- promoting inclusive student success-focused learning and teaching practice
- leading and facilitating initiatives that allow the sharing of ideas and good practice.
We are also fully focused on the enhancement of learning and teaching practice and the curriculum. As such, we encourage all Solent staff to be enhancement-led and metric-minded. While staying true to our educational mission of supporting our students to be successful in a range of ways, we must remain mindful of the ways in which this mission is externally scrutinised, regulated and monitored.SLTI’s key roles
- Working in collaborative partnership with colleagues across Solent to achieve the goals set out in the University Strategy and the Learning & Teaching and Student Success Enabling Plan
- Providing academic consultancy to and facilitating the career aspirations of colleagues, who teach and support the learning of students
- Developing policies for sound, effective and inclusive learning and teaching and providing guidance on these to colleagues in the Faculty
- Supporting the development and approval of new programmes and modules
- Analysing and reporting on key indicators of quality learning and teaching
- Encouraging and sharing innovative practice in teaching and supporting learning
- Consulting, advising and guiding to assist and facilitate the progress and growth of sound and effective practice in teaching, learning and assessment
- Facilitating conferences, events, workshops and bespoke sessions to enable the cross fertilisation and development of inclusive and evidence-informed practice
Academic quality, to us, is a way of describing how well the learning opportunities available to all our students help them to achieve their full academic potential. We therefore ensure that appropriate, effective and inclusive teaching, academic support, resources, assessment and learning opportunities are provided to enable that student success.
- developing innovations
- Solent's pedagogical approach
The pedagogical approach to Solent's learning and teaching is social constructivist, and structured around the core elements of community, journey, interaction and narrative:Community
The students and educators are present with purpose in the learning space together, with an emphasis on peer support.Journey
The students need to derive a sense of progression and development, and be able to see how all the elements fit together and support each other. There is a clear path through the materials and the course as a whole.Interaction
Material is ‘unbundled’ and delivered in manageable chunks that promote engagement. Students in contrast are ‘bundled’: given opportunities to interact with the material and with each other to support learning.Narrative
Students are given context, guidance and direction for all activities, which are set in relation to each other.