Promote your Work
Promote your work
Finding the right networks and using the best tools to showcase your work can help you quickly establish yourself in your chosen industry.
What you will learn in this section
- Understand how to leverage professional networking sites as a student.
- Identify tools and skills you need to create professional digital content.
1 of 3: Explore how to use networks as a student
Joining and becoming active members of professional networks, even as a student, can help you launch your career.
Activity (10 minutes)
- Browse Solent University's LinkedIn page
- Complete the interactive presentation: 6 Tips for creating a LinkedIn profile as a student.
- What do you learn on this page about Solent graduates?
- What might be the benefits of connecting with Solent alumni here?
2 of 3: Find and connect with your professional networksThere are lots of networking opportunities available to you. It is essential to consider:
- Who do you want to connect with?
- Where do these people connect?
- What type of skills or knowledge do you want to portray to the community?
Activity (5 minutes)
Reflect on the questions above and click on the check marks to explore the 6 types of network below.
- Still unsure how social media fits into your career plans? Find out more about building your profile from this Library Collection.
3 of 3: Develop professional digital content
A professional profile image and well designed CV are essential in all industries. Beyond that, you may also wish to demonstrate your design and technical skills. The tools you use will depend on the strength of your skills, and what you are attempting to achieve.
Which tools would be best suited to your needs? Explore two options below.
Solent students have access to a suite of Adobe products which you can use to demonstrate your digital and design skills. Your account also gives access to Adobe Stock content.
- If digital design skills are not your strength, you can still create impressive CVs, leaflets, infographics and images with online templating tools such as Canva.
Uploading and promoting content
You may need a platform to host a personal website or other media content. Choose a platform which is widely used in your industry and has the features you need. Explore a curated selection below.
Activity (10 minutes)
- Identify 1 digital design skill you want to improve, e.g. photo editing, webpage layout or designing for mobile.
- Follow the LinkedIn Learning link below and use the search to find courses related to the skill.
- Save 3 courses related to skills you want to improve.
- Take Action!
Developing and maintaining a digital presence requires you to regularly update your skills and review your content.
From the information above identify one way to improve your professional knowledge or presence and spend 1 hour improving your knowledge, skills or content. Examples include:
- researching (careers books, finding professional networks)
- creating (a professional account, a webpage, a podcast, a forum post),
- updating or editing (profile details, picture, status, CV)
- improving a skill via LinkedIn Learning (video editing, recording)