Many of the site below link to background information on particular countries (economy, culture, trade performance, etc).
You can also use the Library Catalogue to find relevant books.
Key General Websites
- CIA World Factbook
- Africa: AllAfrica.com, MBendi Africa
- Asia: Asian Development Bank, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, Business Times Online (Singapore).
- Latin America: LANIC: Latin American Network Information Center, Latin Trade.
- Europa: Doing business in Europe
- GlobalEdge: international business resource desk - is a web portal for information on global business activity with numerous links to regional and international resources. It also includes a handy currency converter, and a glossary of international business terms.
- UKtradeinfo - Provides comprehensive information on UK trade movements throughout the world, including codes, guides, bulletins, factsheets, exchange rates and more. Some of the trade data requires prior registration (free). The World Links page [select Information Centre from the menu] provides a list of web links to statistical sites around the world.
- Exporting is Great - this government site includes advice and support for business on exporting as well as a selling overseas tool
- Exporting and doing business abroad - government information, basic and detailed, on exports
- International Trade Centre (ITC) - provides information, analysis and support for exporters, importers and trade support institutions in developing and transition economies. The Countries page of their website provides a world-wide index of links to trade information sources and performance data. The Products & Services page includes aggregated trade statistics analysing each country's performance by sector and by specific product. (Note: some parts of the ITC site are for subscribers only.)
GDP (Gross Domestic Product)
- OECD Key Short Term Indictors - GDP
- The World Bank’s World Development Indicators and select GDP.
- UK: HM Treasury GDP Deflators or search GOV.UK Statistics.
- USA: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis National Economic Accounts
- Statista includes GDP information for a range of countries
FDI (Foreign Direct Investment)
- OECD (International Direct Investment Statistics dataset) provides annual FDI data (inflows, outflows, inward/outward positions) for OECD member countries by country/sector dating back to 1985 (NB read country reports onscreen, cannot download to pdf).
- The World Bank World Development Indicators provides annual FDI Data (net inflows/outflows, Balance of Payments (BOP), and %GDP) for approximately 200 countries (coverage will vary from country to country).
- UK Data Service provides access to various datasets from international government agencies.