Improve your information skills with our useful videos and games!
- Quality and evaluation materials
- Library Adventure Game
- Getting Started Library Video
- Simple Searching Video and Activity
- Harvard Referencing Activity
As you are doing your research, make sure you evaluate the quality and usefulness of the sources you consult. To do this, have a think about some key quality criteria that will help you work out if the source is a good one to use, also known as the CRAP criteria:
- Is the source up to date? Does it need to be for your needs?
- When was it published - can you easily find this information?
- Has your source been officially published?
- Has it been reviewed (by a publisher or peer-reviewed for articles)?
- Is the content backed up with references to other sources that support it?
- Who wrote it? What is their background and qualifications?
- Do you trust that they are qualified to write about the topic?
- Why was this source written?
- Do you trust the purpose behind it?
- Does the author want to share research or contribute to the understanding of a topic, for example?
- Is it trying to sell you a point of view or product (and if so, you will need to be aware of this if you do use it in your research)?
Use Bamboo, the Solent Library Panda, to complete our retro platform game (designed by one of our computer games students!)
Answer questions to collect keys and see how fast you can complete all four levels
Follow Bamboo at @
Getting Started Library Video
Watch this video and find out how to use the Library to improve your marks...
Simple Searching Video
Getting too many or too few results? Watch this video to find out how you can improve your searches.
Then try out this activity to test your knowledge.
Harvard Referencing Activity
Use this activity to check if you understand why and how to reference correctly.
For more help and activities on Referencing, see the Referencing tab.